Dr. Shafi Mohammad Tareq obtained M.S. from the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences and was awarded D.Sc. from the Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Nagoya University, Japan. Dr. Tareq also completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCHE) from the University of Nottingham and became a fellow of the Higher Education Academy, U.K. In his early career, he worked as a Japanese Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) postdoctoral fellow at Nagoya University and a Commonwealth academic fellow at the University of Birmingham, U.K. He also worked as a founding faculty member and chair of the Department of Environmental Sciences, at Jahangirnagar University. Dr. Tareq worked as a visiting researcher at the University of Shiga Prefecture and Hokkaido University, Japan. Recently, he worked as an associate professor at the School of Bioscience, at the University of Nottingham. He is skilled in environmental monitoring and assessment with a special focus on pollution and health risk assessment. He also investigated Hydrobiogeochemical processes and the fate and transport of emerging chemicals that impact human and environmental health. Dr. Tareq is a pioneer in environmental education and research in Bangladesh and established the first Hydrobiogeochemistry and Pollution Control Laboratory at Jahangirnagar University. He has published important papers on pollution and health risk assessment, greenhouse gas emissions, biomedical and plastic waste management, and climate change. He got a very prestigious Bangladesh Academy of Science and the World Academy of Science (BAS-TWAS) young scientist gold medal, 2013 for his outstanding contribution to national science and technology. Dr. Tareq enlisted as a Fellow (FRSC) and Charted Environmentalist (CEnv) in the Royal Chemical Society, U.K. He published more than 100 papers in refereed journals (with total citations of more than 2020 and h-index 24) and contributed several chapters in books published by international publishers like Elsevier and Springer. Dr. Tareq presented his research at many international conferences in Asia, Australia, Europe, and North America. His contribution to lignin molecular biogeochemistry was published in a book titled "Lignin Molecular Biogeochemistry: Principles and Practices" from the USA. He has also edited several special issues of high-impact international journals as a Guest Editor. Currently, he is working as a professor at the Department of Environmental Sciences, at Jahangirnagar University.
HydroBioGeochemistry, Emerging Pollution and Health Risk, Waste & Wastewater, GHG & Climate Change, EIA/SEA
All PublicationsShafi Mohammad Tareq, ORCID Link,
JOURNAL PAPER101. Nahin Mostofa Niloy, SM Ahsan Habib, Mohammad Imrul Islam, Md Morshedul Haque, Mashura Shammi, Shafi M Tareq, Distribution, characteristics and fate of fluorescent dissolved organic matter (FDOM) in the Bay of Bengal, Marine Pollution Bulletin, 195, pp.115467, 2023.
100. Osman Miah, Avik Roy, Abid Azad Sakib, Nahin Mostofa Niloy, Md Morshedul Haque, Mashura Shammi, Shafi M Tareq, Diurnal and seasonal variations of pCO2 and fluorescent dissolved organic matter (FDOM) in different polluted lakes, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, pp.1-16, 2023.
99. Md Moklesur Rahman, Mohammad Saiful Islam Bhuiyan, Shafi Mohammad Tareq, Effects of Salinity on Cadmium Availability in Soil And Fruits of Tomato (Lycopersicon Esculentum Miller), Bangladesh Journal of Botany, 52, 2, pp.315-321, 2023.
98. Md Iftakharul Muhib, Mir Mohammad Ali, Shafi M Tareq, Md Mostafizur Rahman, Nitrate Pollution in the Groundwater of Bangladesh: An Emerging Threat, Sustainability, 15, 10, pp.8188, 2023.
97. Amit Hasan Anik, Maisha Binte Sultan, Mahbub Alam, Fahmida Parvin, Mir Mohammad Ali, Shafi M Tareq, The impact of climate change on water resources and associated health risks in Bangladesh: A review, Water Security, 18, pp.100133, 2023.
96. Mabia Hossain Shetu, Fahmida Parvin, Shafi M Tareq, Identifying the presence of microplastics in frogs from the largest delta of the world, Environmental Advances, 11, pp.100355, 2023.
95. Fahmida Parvin, Shafi M Tareq, Alleviating environmental pollution with nanoparticles: current advances and future perspectives, Nanoparticles and Plant-Microbe Interactions, pp.241-258, 2023.
94. Fahmida Parvin, Shafi M Tareq, Carbon-based nanocomposites for the remediation of metal from wastewater, Emerging Techniques for Treatment of Toxic Metals from Wastewater, pp.101-116,
93. Fahmida Parvin, Nahin Mostofa Niloy, Md Morshedul Haque, Shafi M Tareq, Activated carbon as potential material for heavy metals removal from wastewater, Emerging Techniques for Treatment of Toxic Metals from Wastewater, pp.117-130, 2023.
92. Shafi M Tareq, Arsenic and fluorescent humic substances in the groundwater of Bangladesh: A public health risk, Handbook of Arsenic Toxicology, pp.79-100, 2023.
91. Md Moklesur Rahman, Shafi Mohammad Tareq, Mohammad Saiful Islam Bhuiyan, Muhammad Shafiqul Hoq Akand, SM Shamsuzzaman, Cadmium Content in Soil and Tomato (Lycopersicon Esculentum Miller) Around Industrial Areas of Bangladesh, Bangladesh Journal of Botany, 51, 4, pp.729-736, 2022.
90. Shafi M Tareq, Xi Xi Lu, Mashura Shammi, Masahiro Maruo, Hydrobiogeochemistry of major Asian rivers, Frontiers in Earth Science, 10, pp.1065133, 2022.
89. Fahmida Parvin, Md Anamul Hassan, Shafi M Tareq, Risk assessment of microplastic pollution in urban lakes and peripheral Rivers of Dhaka, Bangladesh, Journal of Hazardous Materials Advances, 8, pp.100187, 2022.
88. Md Morshedul Haque, Farzana Yasmin Nupur, Fahmida Parvin, Shafi M Tareq, Occurrence and characteristics of microplastic in different types of industrial wastewater and sludge: A potential threat of emerging pollutants to the freshwater of Bangladesh, Journal of Hazardous Materials Advances, 8, pp.100166, 2022.
87. Mashura Shammi, Pronab Kumar Halder, Shafi M Tareq, Md Mostafizur Rahman, Zobaidul Kabir, From environmental impact assessment to strategic environmental assessment in Bangladesh: Evolution, perspective, governance and challenges, Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 97, pp.106890, 2022.
86. Amit Hasan Anik, Rahat Khan, Shabiha Hossain, Md Abu Bakar Siddique, Umma Tamim, ARM Towfiqul Islam, Abubakr M Idris, Shafi M Tareq, Reconciling the geogenic and non-crustal origins of elements in an Indo-Bangla transboundary river, Atrai: Pollution status, sediment quality, and preliminary risk assessment, Environmental Research, 214, pp.114134, 2022.
85. Nahin Mostofa Niloy, Mashura Shammi, Md Morshedul Haque, Shafi M Tareq, Biogeochemistry of the dissolved organic matter (DOM) in the estuarine rivers of Bangladesh–Sundarbans under different anthropogenic influences, Heliyon, 8, 8, 2022.
84. Nahin Mostofa Niloy, Mashura Shammi, Md Morshedul Haque, Shafi M Tareq, Investigating Dissolved Organic Matter Dynamics in the Downstream Reaches of the Ganges and Brahmaputra Rivers Using Fluorescence Spectroscopy, Frontiers in Earth Science, 10, pp.821050,
83. Nahin Mostofa Niloy, Md Morshedul Haque, S M Tareq (2021), Fluorescent whitening agents in commercial detergent: a potential marker of emerging anthropogenic pollution in freshwater of Bangladesh, Environmental Nanotechnology, Monitoring & Management, 15, pp.100419,
82. N. M. Niloy, Fahmida Sharmin, Sadia Nahar Shajed, Shafi M Tareq, Identification and characterization of sources and fate of emerging pollutants (EPs) in surface water of Bangladesh using three-dimensional excitation-emission (3DEEM) spectroscopy, Journal of the Bangladesh Chemical Society, 34, 1, pp.126-136, 2022.
81. Md Morshedul Haque, Nahin Mostofa Niloy, Md Akhte Khirul, Md Ferdous Alam, S M Tareq (2021), Appraisal of probabilistic human health risks of heavy metals in vegetables from industrial, non-industrial and arsenic contaminated areas of Bangladesh, Heliyon, 7, 2, pp.e06309,
80. Md Morshedul Haque, Most Shirina Begum, Omme K Nayna, Shafi M Tareq, Ji‐Hyung Park, Seasonal shifts in diurnal variations of pCO2 and O2 in the lower Ganges River, Limnology and Oceanography Letters, 7, 3, pp.191-201, 2022.
79. Mashura Shammi, Md Mostafizur Rahman, S M Tareq (2021), Distribution of bioaerosols in association with particulate matter: a review on emerging public health threat in Asian megacities, Frontiers in Environmental Science, pp.328,
78. Nahin Mostofa Niloy, Md Haque, S M Tareq (2022), Temporal changes in hydrochemistry and DOM characteristics of the Brahmaputra River: implication to the seasonality of water quality, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, pp.1-14,
77. Mashura Shammi, Arvind Behal, S M Tareq (2021), The Escalating Biomedical Waste Management To Control the Environmental Transmission of COVID-19 Pandemic: A Perspective from Two South Asian Countries, Environmental Science & Technology,
76. S M Tareq, Md Haque, Nahin Mostofa Niloy (2021), Comment on “Spatiotemporal variations of DOM components in the Kushiro River impacted by a wetland” by Shafiquzzaman et al. 2020, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 28, 4, pp.4887-4888,
75. Fahmida Parvin, Jayasree Nath, Tamanna Hannan, S M Tareq (2022), Proliferation of microplastics in commercial sea salts from the world longest sea beach of Bangladesh, Environmental Advances, pp.100173,
74. Md. Morshedul Haque, Sajin Sultana, Nahin Mostofa Niloy, Shamshad B. Quraishi & S M Tareq (2022), Source apportionment, ecological, and human health risks of toxic metals in road dust of densely populated capital and connected major highway of Bangladesh, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, pp.1-16,
73. Md Haque, Nahin Mostofa Niloy, Omme K Nayna, Konica J Fatema, Shamshad B Quraishi, Ji-Hyung Park, Kyoung-Woong Kim, S M Tareq (2020), Variability of water quality and metal pollution index in the Ganges River, Bangladesh, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 27, pp.42582-42599,
72. Mashura Shammi, Mushfiqur Rahman Robi, S M Tareq (2020), COVID-19: socio-environmental challenges of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh, Journal of Environmental Health Science and Engineering, 18, 2, pp.1709-1711,
71. Parvin, F., Haque, M. M., S M Tareq (2022), Recent status of water quality in Bangladesh: A systematic review, meta-analysis and health risk assessment, Environmental Challenges, 6, pp.100416,
70. Mashura Shammi, Md Mostafizur Rahman, Md Liakath Ali, Abu Sadat Moniruzzaman Khan, Md Abu Bakar Siddique, Md Ashadudzaman, Md Bodrud-Doza, GM Mostafizul Alam, S M Tareq (2022), Application of short and rapid strategic environmental assessment (SEA) for biomedical waste management in Bangladesh, Case Studies in Chemical and Environmental Engineering, 5, pp.100177,
69. Ken Sawada, Makiko Ono, Hideto Nakamura, S M Tareq (2020), Reconstruction of Holocene Optimum paleoclimatic variations using long-chain n-alkanes and alkenones in sediments from Dabusu Lake, northeastern China, Quaternary International, 550, pp.27-38,
68. Faria Hassan, MS Rahman, S M Tareq, S Yeasmin (2020 ), Assessment of Environmental Radiation Hazard on Public Health around BSMMU Campus, Dhaka, Bangladesh, ABC Research Alert, 8, 1, pp.9-15,
67. Mahbubur Rahman, Md Morshedul Haque, S M Tareq (2021), Appraisal of groundwater vulnerability in south-central part of Bangladesh using DRASTIC model: An approach towards groundwater protection and health safety, Environmental Challenges, 5, pp.100391,
66. Nahin Mostofa Niloy, Md Morshedul Haque, S M Tareq (2021), Characterization of dissolved organic matter at urban and industrial rainwater of Bangladesh by fluorescence spectroscopy and EEM-PARAFAC modeling, Environmental Challenges, 5, pp.100250,
65. Sharmin Yousuf Rikta, Fahmida Parvin, S MTareq (2020), Prospects of hybrid nanomaterials in plant growth promotion, Multifunctional Hybrid Nanomaterials for Sustainable Agri-Food and Ecosystems, pp.319-333,
64. Nayna, O.K., Sarma, V.V.S.S., Begum, M.S., Hartmann, J., Kumar, S., , S M Tareq., Park, J-H. (2021 ), Reassessing riverine carbon dioxide emissions from the Indian subcontinent, Science of The Total Environment, Volume 816, pp.151610,
63. Fabiha Shafi Mim, MS Rahman, S M Tareq, S Yeasmin (2020), Assessment of Radiation Hazard on Public Health at Indoor and Outdoor Environment of DMCH Campus, Dhaka, Bangladesh, ABC Research Alert, 8, 2, pp.69-77,
62. Haque, M.M., Hossain, N., Jolly, Y.N., S M Tareq (2021), Probabilistic health risk assessment of toxic metals in chickens from the largest production areas of Dhaka, Bangladesh., Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 28, 37, pp.51329-51341,
61. M Mohinuzzaman, AHM Saadat, KMG Mostofa, SMN Islam, SM Hossain, S M Tareq (2018), Health risk assessment of chromium-accumulated fish and vegetables at Gulshan Lake of Bangladesh: a case study, Pollution, 4, 3, pp.459-469,
60. Akter, S., Shammi, M., Jolly, Y. N., Sakib, A. A., Rahman, M. M., S M Tareq (2021), Characterization and photodegradation pathway of the leachate of Matuail sanitary landfill site, Dhaka South City Corporation, Bangladesh,
59. Ji-Hyung Park, Omme K Nayna, Most S Begum, Eliyan Chea, Jens Hartmann, Richard G Keil, Sanjeev Kumar, Xixi Lu, Lishan Ran, Jeffrey E Richey, Vedula VSS Sarma, S M Tareq, Do Thi Xuan, Ruihong Yu (2018), Reviews and syntheses: Anthropogenic perturbations to carbon fluxes in Asian river systems–concepts, emerging trends, and research challenges, Biogeosciences, 15, 9, pp.3049-3069,
58. Parvin, F., Jannat,S., S M Tareq (2021), Abundance, characteristics and variation of microplastics in different freshwater fish species from Bangladesh, Science of The Total Environment, 784, pp.147137,
57. Md Mostafizur Rahman, Mashura Shammi, Md Liakath Ali, Abu Sadat Moniruzzaman Khan, Md Abu Bakar Siddique, Md Ashadudzaman, Md Bodrud-Doza, GM Mostafizul Alam, S M Tareq (2021), COVID-19 related healthcare wastes management practices among Bangladeshi medical professionals,
56. Fahmida Parvin, Omme Kulsum Nayna, S M Tareq, Sharmin Yousuf Rikta, Abdul KI Kamal (2018), Facile synthesis of iron oxide nanoparticle and synergistic effect of iron nanoparticle in the presence of sunlight for the degradation of DOM from textile wastewater, Applied water science, 8, 2, pp.1-11,
55. Tareq, S. M., Handa, N., Tanoue, E., Lignin signature in a continental salt lake: climate variability and paleovegetation changes at northeast China, . The first joint meeting of the Environmental changes in the northeastern Asia, Jilin University, Changchun, China, January. 2005.
54. SY Rikta, S M Tareq, M Khabir Uddin (2018), Toxic metals (Ni2+, Pb2+, Hg2+) binding affinity of dissolved organic matter (DOM) derived from different ages municipal landfill leachate, Applied water science, 8, 1, pp.1-8,
53. Parvin, F., S M Tareq (2021), Impact of landfill leachate contamination on surface and groundwater of Bangladesh: a systematic review and possible public health risks assessment,
52. Nahin Mostofa Niloy, Md Haque, S M Tareq (2021), Characteristics, Sources, and Seasonal Variability of Dissolved Organic Matter (DOM) in the Ganges River, Bangladesh, Environmental Processes, 8, 2, pp.593-613,
51. Sikder Sanchita Tasnim, Md Mostafizur Rahman, Mohammad Mahmodul Hasan, Mashura Shammi, S M Tareq (2021), Current challenges and future perspectives of solar-PV cellswaste in Bangladesh, Heliyon, pp.e08970,
50. MM Rahman, MA Islam, M Bodrud-Doza, MI Muhib, A Zahid, M Shammi, S M Tareq, M Kurasaki (2017), Spatio-temporal assessment of groundwater quality and human health risk: a case study in Gopalganj. Expo Health, Bangladesh,
49. SY Rikta S M Tareq (2017), Impacts of engineered nanoparticles (ENPs) on aquatic organisms and public health: A review, Journal of Desalination and Water Purification, 6, 1, pp.3-8, 2017.
48. Shammi, M., S M Tareq (2021), Environmental Catastrophe of COVID-19: Disposal and Management of PPE in Bangladesh., Glob Soc Welf,
47. Most Shirina Begum, Matthew J Bogard, David Butman, Eliyan Chea, S Kumar, Xixi Lu, Omme K Nayna, Lishan Ran, J E Richey, S M Tareq, Do Thi Xuan, Ruihong Yu, Ji-Hyung Park (2021), Spatiotemporal variation in pCO₂, CH₄, N₂O, DOM, and ancillary water quality measured in the Ganges, Mekong, and Yellow River during 2016 to 2019, PANGAEA,
46. Yousuf Rikta Sharmin,S M Tareq (2026), Lead polluted hotspot: environmental implication of unplanned industrial development, Present Environment and Sustainable Development, 1, pp.51-60,
45. Sharmin Yousuf Rikta, Md Shiblur Rahaman, Jakia Jerin Mehjabin, Md Khabir Uddin, Mohammad Mahbub Kabir, S M Tareq (2016), Evaluation of water quality parameters and Humic substance status of Bangshi, Dhaleshwari and Padma Rivers in Bangladesh, International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 6, 6, pp.1129-1139,
44. Begum, M. S., Bogard, M. J., Butman, D. E., Chea, E., Kumar, S., Lu, X., Nayna O.K., Ran, L., Richey, J.E., S M Tareq, Xuan, D.T., Yu, R., Park, J-H (2021), Localized pollution impacts on greenhouse gas dynamics in three anthropogenically modified Asian river systems, Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, pp.126,
43. SHAFI M Tareq, MASAHIRO Maruo, KEIICHI Ohta, HOSSAIN M Anawar, Fluorescence humic substances in arsenic contaminated groundwater of Bangladesh, Int. J. Econ. Environ. Geol, 3, 1, pp.1-5, 2012.
42. Md Islam, M Khabir Uddin, S M Tareq, Mashura Shammi, Abdul Kadir Ibne Kamal, Tomohiro Sugano, Masaaki Kurasaki, Takeshi Saito, Shunitz Tanaka, Hideki Kuramitz (2015), Alteration of water pollution level with the seasonal changes in mean daily discharge in three main rivers around Dhaka City, Bangladesh, Environments, 2, 3, pp.280-294,
41. Shafi M Tareq, Keiichi Ohta, Flux and Degradation Rates of Carbohydrates and Lignin in a Tropical Wetland, West Java, Indonesia: a comparative study, Jahangirnagar University Environmental Bulletin, 1, pp.67-76, 2012.
40. Md Sikder, Shunitz Tanaka, Takeshi Saito, Toshiyuki Hosokawa, Sulmin Gumiri, Ardianor Ardianor, Md Uddin, S M Tareq, Mashura Shammi, AK Kamal, Masaaki Kurasaki (2015), Vulnerability assessment of surface water quality with an innovative integrated multi-parameter water quality index (IMWQI), Pollution, 1, 3, pp.333-346,
39. Fahmida Parvin, Zannatul Ferdaus, S M Tareq, Tasrina R Choudhury, Jahid MM Islam, Mubarak A Khan (2015), Effect of gamma-irradiated textile effluent on plant growth, International Journal of Recycling of Organic Waste in Agriculture, 4, 1, pp.23-30,
38. Sharmin Yousuf Rikta, Mahbub Alam, Kaniz Fatima Binte Hossain, S M Tareq (2015), Photodegradation of textile effluent using solar radiation, Int. J. Environ. Prot. Policy, 3, pp.14-18,
37. Shafi M Tareq, Hiroyuki Kitagawa, Keiichi Ohta, Lignin biomarker and isotopic records of paleovegetation and climate changes from Lake Erhai, southwest China, since 18.5 ka BP, Quaternary International, 229, 1-2, pp.47-56, 2011/1/1. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quaint.2010.04.014
36. S M Tareq (2014), Source and characteristic of fluorescence humic substances in arsenic polluted groundwater of Bangladesh, Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society, 61, 7, pp.770-773,
35. SS Mahfuza, YN Jolly, S Yeasmin, S Satter, A Islam, S M Tareq (2014), Transfer of heavy metals and radionuclides from soil to vegetables and plants in Bangladesh, 1, pp.331-6,
34. S M Tareq, MS Rahaman, SY Rikta, SM Nazrul Islam, Mahfuza S Sultana (2013), Seasonal variations in water quality of the Ganges and Brahmaputra River, Bangladesh, Jahangirnagar university environmental bulletin, 2, pp.71-82,
33. Md Ruhul Amin, S M Tareq, Syed Hafizur Rahman, Md Romij Uddin (2013), Effects of temperature, rainfall and relative humidity on visceral leishmaniasis prevalence at two highly affected upazilas in Bangladesh, Life Sci J, 10, 4, pp.1440-6,
32. MR Amin, S M Tareq, SH Rahman 92013), Effects of climate variables on kala-azar prevalence at major affected districts in Bangladesh, Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 6, 1, pp.79-87,
31. Hossain Md Anawar, S M Tareq, Golam Ahmed (2013), Is organic matter a source or redox driver or both for arsenic release in groundwater?, Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts a/b/c, 58, pp.49-56,
30. Ahmed, T., Uddin, M.K., Tareq, S.M., Hossain, S.M., Safiullah, S., Treatment of textile effluent by adsorption–filtration process utilizing Fe2O3-MnO2-Laterite soil based composite porous materials, Jahangirnagar University Journal of Science, 31, 2, pp.27-40, 2008.
29. SMN Islama, SH Rahmana, DA Chowdhuryb, MM Rahmana, S M Tareq (2012), Seasonal Variations of Arsenic in the Ganges and Brahmaputra River, Bangladesh., Journal of Scientific Research, 4, 1,
28. S M Tareq, Keiichi Ohta (2011), Distribution of combined monosaccharides in sediments from the Lake Rawa Danau, West Java, Indonesia: Sources and diagenetic fate of carbohydrates in a tropical wetland, Geochemical Journal, 45, 1, pp.1-13,
27. Hossain M Anawar, Junji Akai, Martin Mihaljevič, Arif M Sikder, Golam Ahmed, S M Tareq, Mohammad M Rahman (2011), Arsenic contamination in groundwater of Bangladesh: perspectives on geochemical, microbial and anthropogenic issues, Water, 3, 4, pp.1050-1076,
26. S M Tareq and Ohta (2011), Lignin biomarker as a novel proxy for paleovegetation changes: a brief review, Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Research, 9, 1, pp.105-115,
25. M Ruhul Amin, S M Tareq, SH Rahman (2011), Impacts of climate change on public health: Bangladesh perspective, Global J of Enviro Res, 5, pp.97-105,
24. S M Tareq, Keiichi Ohta (2011), Lignin and Isotope Signatures in Pollen: A Caveat of Lignin Phenol Biomarker for Reconstructing Paleovegetation, Asian Journal of Water, Environment and Pollution, 12, 1, pp.1-9,
23. Md Arifur Rahman, Mubarak A Khan, S M Tareq (2010), Preparation and characterization of polyethylene oxide (PEO)/gelatin blend for biomedical application: Effect of gamma radiation, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 117, 4, pp.2075-2082, doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/app.32034
22. Hossain M Anawar, Takahito Yoshioka, Eiichi Konohira, Junji Akai, MC Freitas, S M Tareq (2010), Sources of organic carbon and depositional environment in the Bengal delta plain sediments during the Holocene period, Limnology, 11, 2, pp.133-142,
21. Ichikawa K Uddin, M.K., Tareq, S.M., Ahamed, J.U., Design and synthesis of enzyme mimic histidine-containing heptapeptide zinc complex, Journal of Bangladesh Chemical Society, 17, 7, pp.1-7, 2004.
20. S M Tareq, Masahiro Maruo, Osamu Nagahuchi, Keiichi Ohta (2010), Molecularchanges in dissolved organic matter during photodegradation, 信州大学山地水環境教育研究センター研究報告, 6, pp.29-34,
32. S M Tareq, Masahiro Maruo, Keiichi Ohta (2013), Characteristics and role of groundwater dissolved organic matter on arsenic mobilization and poisoning in Bangladesh, Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C, 58, pp.77-84,
19. S M Tareq, SM Nazrul Islam, M Majibur Rahmam, Didarul Alam Chowdhury (2010), Arsenic pollution in groundwater of Southeast Asia: an overview on mobilization process and health effects, Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Research, 8, pp.47-67,
18. A Safiullah, S., Tareq, S.M., Rahman, M.M., Kabir, Design and installation of arsenic removing shallow tubewell in the Meghna basin of Bangladesh, Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Science, 4, 2, pp.1-7, 2004.
17. Tanveer Ahmed, S M Tareq (2008), Textile industries in Bangladesh: A rising environmental degradation down the drains, Bangladesh textile today, 1,
16. S.M . Safiullah, S., Rahman, M.M., Tareq, Removal of Arsenic by composites of TiO2 and FeOOH, Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Science, 1, pp.1-4, 2003.
15. S M Tareq, Eiichiro Tanoue (2008), Isotope and Molecular Biogeochemistry: A Promising Tool to Study Vegetation and Climate Change, Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Research, 6, pp.91-111,
14. SH Rahman, S Neelormi, S M Tareq (2008), Environmental impact assessments of textile and dyeing industries on ecosystem of Karnopara canal at Savar, Bangladesh, Jahangirnagar Univ. J. Sci, 31, pp.19-32,
13. Hiroyuki Kitagawa, S M Tareq, Hiroyuki Matsuzaki, Nobuo Inoue, Eiichiro Tanoue, Yoshinori Yasuda (2007), Radiocarbon concentration of lake sediment cellulose from Lake Erhai in southwest China, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, 259, 1, pp.526-529,
12. S M Tareq, Noriyuki Tanaka, Keiichi Ohta (2007), Isotope and lignin signatures in tropical peat core (Rawa Danau, Indonesia): An approach to reconstruct past vegetation and climate changes, Tropics, 16, 2, pp.131-140,
11. S Sañullah, MA Sabur, M Majibur Rahman, M Emdadul Haque, S M Tareq (2006), Duck Feather: A Source of Digestible Protein, Journal of Environmental Science (Dhaka), 4, pp.1-5,
10. S M Tareq, Nobuhiko Handa, Eiichiro Tanoue (2006), A lignin phenol proxy record of mid Holocene paleovegetation changes at Lake DaBuSu, northeast China, Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 88, 1-3, pp.445-449,
9. S M Tareq, Eiichiro Tanoue, H Tsuji, Noriyuki Tanaka, Keiichi Ohta (2005), Hydrocarbon and elemental carbon signatures in a tropical wetland: biogeochemical evidence of forest fire and vegetation changes, Chemosphere, 59, 11, pp.1655-1665,
8. S M Tareq, Noriyuki Tanaka, Keiichi Ohta (2004), Biomarker signature in tropical wetland: lignin phenol vegetation index (LPVI) and its implications for reconstructing the paleoenvironment, Science of the Total Environment, 324, 1-3, pp.91-103,
7. M KHABIR UDDIN, S M TAREQ, M TARNAI, K ICHIKAWA (2001), Design and Synthesis of Histidine-rich Heptapeptide (L-His-L-His-L-His-L-Tyr-L-His-L-His-L-His), Jahangirnagar University Journal of Science, 24,
6. S M Tareq, S Safiullah, HM Anawar, M Majibur Rahman, T Ishizuka (2003), Arsenic pollution in groundwater: a self-organizing complex geochemical process in the deltaic sedimentary environment, Bangladesh, Science of the total environment, 313, 1-3, pp.213-226,
5. S Safiullah, A Kabir, S M Tareq, MMK Khan, FR Alam (2003), Removal of arsenic by composite porous materials based on Fe2O3–MnO2 laterite soil, Journal of the Bangladesh Chemical Society, 12, 2, pp.185-192,
4. BK Safiullah, S., Rahman, M.M., S M Tareq, S.M., Rahman (2003), Comparative studies on the total arsenic content and other related chemical species in the groundwater of Ganges and Meghna basin, Bangladesh, Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Science, 1, pp.43-48,
3. HM Anawar, J Akai, KMG Mostofa, S Safiullah, SM Tareq (2003), Arsenic poisoning in groundwater: health risk and geochemical sources in Bangladesh, Environment international, 27, 7, pp.597-604,
2. S M Tareq, SH Rahman (2002), Potable water Quality of Jahangirnagar University Campus, Savar, Bangladesh, Jahangirnagar University Journal of Science, 25, pp.147-152,
1. S Safiullah, FR Alam, S M Tareq, SH Rahman (2001), Speciation and Spatial Distribution of Arsenic in Ground Water in Meghna Basin (Sonargaon), Bangladesh, JOURNAL-BANGLADESH ACADEMY OF SCIENCES, 25, 2, pp.165-170,
CONFERENCE PAPERTareq, S.M. Rikta, S. Y., M. S. Rahman, Application of Fluorescence Spectroscopy and Size Exclusion Chromatography for the Simultaneous Characterization of Dissolved Organic Matter and Biological Pollution in Groundwater, Society of environmental toxicology and chemistry for Asia/Pacific conferences, Singapure, 16-19 September 2016.
Tareq, S.M., Arsenic Pollution in Groundwater of Bangladesh: Health Risk and Geochemical Mobilization,, University colloquium, the University of Birmingham, UK, MaRCH, 2015.
Tareq, S.M. Rikta, S. Y., Identification of Microbial Contamination in Groundwater using 3-D EEM Spectroscopy with Parallel Factor (PARAFAC) Analysis, 18th Malaysian International Chemical Congress, Kula Lumpur, Malaysia, 3-5 November 2014.
Tareq, S.M., Source and characteristic fluorescence humic substances in arsenic polluted groundwater of Bangladesh, 4th Asia-Oceania Conference on Green and Sustainable Chemistry, Taipei, Taiwan,, 4-6 November.2013.
Tareq, S.M, Characteristics and role of groundwater dissolved organic matter on arsenic mobilization and poisoning in Bangladesh, 19th Conference of the Islamic World Academy of Sciences, Dhaka, 5-8 May, 2013.
Tareq, S.M., Major environmental issues in Bangladesh, Environmental Leadership Training Program, Danang, Vietnam, 8-13 August.2011.
Tareq, S.M., Maruo M., Nagahuchi, O., Ohta, K, . Molecular changes in dissolved organic matter during photodegradation, 14th international symposium on River and Lake Environments. Ueda, Japan, 28-31 August. 2009.
Tareq, S.M., Kitagawa, H., Tanoue, E, Isotope and Lignin Signature in Lake Erahi (Southwest China): Evidence for Paleovegetation Changes and Asian Monsoon Variability during 18.5 ky BP, 16th Annual V.M. Goldschmidt Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 2006.
Tareq, S.M., Tanoue, E., Lignin Molecular Stratigraphic Record of Paleovegetation from Lake Erhai Deposits in Southwest China, 24th Symposium of Japanese Association of Organic Geochemists, Matsumoto, Japan, August, 2006.
Tareq, S.M., Handa, N., Tanoue, E, A lignin phenol proxy record of mid Holocene paleovegetation changes at Lake DaBuSu, northeast China, Seventh International Symposium on the Geochemistry of the Earth's Surface (GES-7), Aix-en-Provence, France,, August 23-27. 2005.
Tareq, S.M., Tanoue, E, Flux and degradation rates of carbohydrates and lignin in a tropical wetland, West Java, Indonesia: a comparative study, 23rd Symposium of Japanese Association of Organic Geochemists, Kochi, Japan,, July. 2005.
Tareq, S.M., Rahman, M.M., Safiullah, S, Arsenic pollution in the southwestern coastal zone of Bangladesh: Environmental impact on traditional shrimp culture, . Dialogues in River Links and Diversions, New Delhi, India, March 22-23. 2004.
Tareq, S.M., Climate variability and paleohydrological changes during Holocene, Hydrology of Asia, , Humid Tropical Center (HTC), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia,, October. 2004.
Tareq, S.M., Tanaka, N., Ohta, K, Lignin phenol vegetation index (LPVI): A new index to study paleoenvironment, The 39th international union of pure and applied chemistry (IUPAC) congress and the 86th conference of the Canadian society for chemistry. Ottawa, Canada, August 10-15. 2003.
Tareq, S.M., Tanaka, N., Ohta, K, Biogeochemical evidence of vegetation changes in the tropical wetland during mid-late Holocene., 12th General assembly of the International Union of Geodesy Geophysics (IUGG), Sapporo, Japan, 30- July, 2003.
Tareq, S.M., Tanaka, N., Ohta, K, Isotopes and lignin signature in tropical peat core: An approach to reconstruct past vegetation and climate changes, International symposium on land management and biodiversity in Southeast Asia, Bali, Indonesia, September. 2002.
Safiullah, S., Tareq, S.M. Rahman, M.M, Development of Silver and Gold based Low cost Field Kit for the Determination of Arsenic in Ground Water, 23rd conference of Bangladesh Chemical society, Dhaka,, January, 201.
Safiullah, S., Tareq, S.M., Kabir, A., Development of an Arsenic Removal Hand Tubewell with SAFI Materials Based on Porous composites of Fe, Mn and Al Oxides and Hydroxides, 23rd conference of Bangladesh Chemical society, Dhaka,, January, 2001.
Safiullah, S., Tareq, S.M., Removal of Arsenic by Composite Porous and Mesoporous Materials Based On Oxides and Hydroxides of Fe, Mn and Al, International Conference on Bangladesh Environment, BUET, Dhaka,, December. 2000.
Safiullah, S., Tareq, S.M., Rahman, M.M., Determination of Arsenic and related chemical species in the Ground Water of Bangladesh: An Inter Basin Comparison, 22nd conference of Bangladesh Chemical society, Dhaka,, January, 2000.
Safiullah, S., Tareq, S.M., Khanal, D.P., Khan, M.M.K, Analysis and leaching Experiments on selected Aquifer Soils of Bangladesh Flood Plains & Nepalese Terai for Understanding the Arsenic Mobilization in Ground Water., International Conference of Environmental Biogeochemistry, New Delhi,, December 13-18. 1998.
BOOKTareq, S.M., Lu, X. Shammi, M., Maruo, M. Ed.), Hydrobiogeochemistry of Major Asian Rivers,, Frontiers in Environmental Science, 2021.
Tareq, S.M. and Ohta, Lignin Molecular Biogeochemistry: Practices and Principles, NOVA Pub, NewYorks, 2018.
BOOK CHAPTERShafi Mohammad Tareq, Youhei Yamashita, Siyue Li, Lishan Ran, Subtropical Steep Headwater Stream, Chun Ngai Chan¹, Cheuk Lam Tsang¹, Frederick Lee, Boyi Liu¹, frontiers ORIGINAL RESEARCH in Earth Science, Hydrobiogeochemistry of major asian rivers, 19, 2023.
Rikta, S.Y., Parvin, F., Tareq, S. M, Prospects of hybrid nanomaterials in plant growth promotion, , Multifunctional Hybrid Nanomaterials for Sustainable Agri-Food and Ecosystems, pp.319-333, Elsevier, 2020.
Nayna , O. K., Tareq, S. M., Application of Semiconductor Nanoparticles for Removal of Organic Pollutants or Dyes From Wastewater., Nanotechnology in Water and Wastewater Treatment, pp.267-290, 2019.
Parvin, F., Rikta, S. Y., Tareq, S. M, Application of Nanomaterials for the Removal of Heavy Metal from Wastewater, Nanotechnology in Water and Wastewater Treatment, pp.137-158.,, Elsevier Inc, 2019.
Tareq, S.M, Arsenic and Fluorescence Humic Substance in Groundwater of Bangladesh: A Public Health Risk, In Flora, Handbook of Arsenic Toxicity, pp.73-93., , Elsevier Ltd, 2015.
Tareq, S. M, Environmental Pollution in Bangladesh, Bangladesh: Population, Environment and Economy, Dhaka, pp.85-105., 2014.
Sultana, M.S., Jolly, Y. N., Yeasmin, S., Satter, S., Islam, A., and Tareq S.M, Transfer of Heavy Metals and Radionuclides from Soil to Vegetables and Plants in Bangladesh, Soil Remediation and Plants: Prospects and Challenge, pp.329-364, Elsevier, 2014.
Mostofa, K.M. G., Liu, C-Q., Vione, D., Mottaleb, M. A., Ogawa, H., Tareq, S.M., and Yoshioka, T, Chromophoric dissolved organic matter in natural waters, in Photobiogeochemistry of organic matter, Springer, pp.364-428, 2012.
Tareq, S.M., Major environmental issues in Bangladesh, the University of Shiga Prefecture, Hikone, Japan., 2011.
Rahman, S.H., Tareq, S.M., Ahmed, T, Degradation of river ecology: causes, state and impacts. In River pollution: concerns and expectations, BELA, Dhaka, pp.21-76, 2009.
Safiullah, S, Khanal, D.P., Tareq, S.M., Khan, M.M.K., Arsenic mobilization in groundwater: Analysis and leaching experiments on aquifer soils of Bangladesh and Nepal, In Biogeochemistry of Rivers in Tropical South and Southeast Asia, Germany. UNEP/SCOPE Sonderband-Helf, 82, pp.125-130, 1999.
Safiullah, S, Khanal, D.P., Tareq, S. M., Khan, M.M.K, Analysis and leaching experiments on selected aquifer soils of Bangladesh flood plains and Nepalese terai for understanding the arsenic mobilization in groundwater, The ENVIS center, JNU, New Delhi, India, pp.175-180, 1998.
AWARDShafi Mohammad Tareq, Bangladesh Academy of Science and the World Academy of Science (BAS-TWAS) gold medal award for young scientist 2013,
KEYNOTE SPEECHTareq, S.M, Water pollution in Bangladesh: Causes, Impacts and Mitigation Options. in International workshop on “Development of Sciences of Atmosphere and Hydrosphere in Asia, Nagoya University, Japan, Nagoya University, Japan, 2016.
Tareq, S.M., Arsenic poisoning in groundwater of Asian countries: a critical public health problem, School of Environmental Sciences, The University of Shiga Prefecture, Japan, December, 2007.
Tareq, S.M., Lignin biomarker signatures in lacustrine deposits: A novel proxy for paleovegetation and climate, School of Environmental Sciences, , The University of Shiga Prefecture, Japan, December., 2007.
OTHERBangladesh food safety: Microplastics found in frogs, fish, Al Jazeera Television,
Our recent work on microplastic in salt has been highlighted in the news of channel 24,
Our recently published research on water quality and public health is also focused by TV Channel 24,
Our work on water pollution is highlight in NEWAGE paper: Public health in peril as emerging pollutants rising in water: study,
INTERVIEW - Shafi Mohammad Tareq, professor at Jahangirnagar University,
Personal interview published in the international mediaবাংলাদেশের ডিটারজেন্টে ক্যান্সার সৃষ্টিকারী উপাদান পাওয়া গেছে এক গবেষণায়,
The recent research activity of Dr S M Tareq research group highlights in BBC news and most of the national newspaperদেশি মাছে ক্ষতিকর প্লাস্টিক কণা,
Our recent research activity is focused in Voice of America (VoA) news১৫ প্রজাতির দেশি মাছে প্লাস্টিকের ক্ষুদ্র কণা: গবেষণা,
Research on microplastics in fish focuses in BBCToxic metals in poultry chicken, 2021. Toxic metals in poultry chicken
Toxic metals in poultry chikenOur work on microplastic in salt of Bangladesh is highlight in Bonik Barta,
Deaprtment of Chemistry, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka
Department of Chemistry, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka
Earth and Environmental Sciences, Nagoya University, Japan
Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Nagoya University, Japan
Graduate School of Education, the University of Nottiingham, UK