About Department of Microbiology
Back in 2006, Department of Microbiology has commenced its journey with the goal to provide higher education in the field of microbiology. Currently it is offering adequate scope to the students and faculties for academics and research. Over the years it has grown up to one of the successful departments in the university with a broad range of research interest which generates quality graduates .The department is now offering 4 years B.S.( Honours), one year M.S and postgraduate degrees (M.Phil and Ph.D). At present more than 100 students have achieved their B.S.( Honours) and M.S degree from this department. The graduate students are executing their excellence in the leading research organizations of the country (icddr’b, Atomic energy commission, National institute of Biotechnology etc) as well as in different prime pharmaceutical companies. More ever, a good number of students are performing their eminence with great caliber as a faculty member in different Public and Private Universities of Bangladesh. After fulfilling the country needs in various sectors, every year graduates of this department are getting enrolled in World ranked Universities. The department is well-equipped with modern laboratories and classrooms to provide quality teaching and research opportunities for students. It includes 15 full time faculty members and many of them have achieved their higher degrees and training from developed countries like United States, United Kingdom, Italy, Belgium and Japan. The department is conducting basic and applied research in the field of Molecular Microbiology, Virology, Environmental Microbiology, Clinical Microbiology, Antibiotic Resistance and Fermentation Microbiology. Department members have published a significant number of research articles in high profile scientific journal. The department has now dynamic collaborations with renowned institutions at home and abroad. Department of microbiology is committed to endorse the highest student-oriented standards of learning, education, and research. It wants to create an academic environment for its faculties and students that is collaborative, spiritual and supportive of career development.
- Development of a simple and robust biosensor coupled isothermal amplification method for the rapid detection of urophthogenic bacteria.
- Effect of Uses and abuses of antimicrobials in Bangladeshi Poultry and zoonotic transmission: Emergence of Public Health Crisis
- Development of rapid molecular diagnostic kits and potential vaccines candidate for rotavirus infection in Bangladesh
- Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) in Poultry Value Chain of Bangladesh.
- Renewable and environmental friendly biofuel production by starch fermenting microbes
- Studies on the potential of Environmental Bacteria as a reservoir of antibiotic resistance genes, screening of possible antibiotic efflux mechanism and the effect of efflux pump inhibitors on enhancing therapeutic efficiency of antibiotics.
- Research Projects
View All Faculty Members
Department of Microbiology have total 13 faculty members.